Well folks, we’re officially well-into fall. And toward the end of fall comes holiday season…. Between the sweets, the celebratory meals and the constant festivities, many people end up shrugging their self-care and fitness routines to the side. That’s part of why so many New Year’s resolutions inevitably end up relating to health and fitness e.g. “getting back to the gym” “eating better”. Unfortunately, according to an article by Business Insider, “…approximately 80% of resolutions fail by the second week of February…”! Gak! Cue #NoExcusesNovember.
#NoExcusesNovember is the month for you to set one or two fitness or health goals that can be practiced every single day. Yeah, you read that correctly: every, single, day y’all. No worries though! The practices don’t have to be long. What we’re aiming for is 30 days of consistency. Why? Because forming a new habit typically takes 21 consecutive days of practice or participation. And by establishing a healthy practice in November, you’re putting yourself in the best spot (and shape!) possible heading into the chaos of the holidays.
A few examples of #NoExcusesNovember activities include:
- Doing 10 Burpees every morning
- Downloading a meditation app and doing 15 minutes of meditation daily
- Eating a salad every day (extra points for meatless!)
- Taking a 20 minute walk daily (aim for the same time of day each day, so that it sticks)
- Using stairs instead of elevators/escalators
- Participating in a 30 day fitness challenge, such as for abs or push ups (Pinterest has lots of good ones available – you can also just Google “30 day fitness challenge” and pick the one you like best)
- Doing 10 minutes of yoga every evening
The key ingredients to all of this are: a well-defined action + a set time of day + a set amount of time. That way your goal is clear, daily and measurable.f nothing comes to mind immediately, that’s ok. You’ve got a few days to brainstorm! Maybe there’s something you’ve been wanting to try and haven’t gotten around to, maybe something new or on the list inspires you. Whatever you pick, please be realistic with yourself.
Personally, I’m in a period of life with a lot of change. I’ve been writing to you all from France, but in less than six weeks we’ll be moving out – and we don’t know our next location! Needless to say, this year my #NoExcusesNovember goals are about balancing my body AND my mind. That’s why I opted for the following:
- 10 minutes of yoga per day OR one yoga class
- 10 minutes of meditation per day
- 10 push ups per day (because I’ve gotta have one fitness-only goal!)
As a following expat partner, I have twenty minutes of flexibility in my daily life, but many others do not. That’s totally ok! If you only have 10 minutes, then embrace those 10. Treat them as if they’re sacred – they are! – and commit. Your body – and your mind! – will thank you come the holidays!
I’d love to hear what your #NoExcusesNovember goals are and how they go! Please share your goals in the comments section and keep me posted on Instagram and Twitter throughout the month with the hashtags #NoExcusesNovember and #RebelHeartWellness. I’m looking forward to hearing all about your amazing progress!!!